Ankur

Is she *completely* indigenous – from the design board upwards?

If so, shah-bash India! She is definitely a looker, and seems to be something that the Indian Navy needs.

I was wondering on the potency and necessity of have an Aircraft carrier in the fleet. I know that power projection etc are important, but surely India has no need for such a mammoth waste of money – especially given the bang for the buck that submarines and frigates give us in terms of the bad-ass aura required to prevent attacks.

I mean, who the hell in their right minds would spend money attacking India on the conventional battlefield? And a battlecarrier group is simply an offensive weapon – a la USA.

Looking forward to many wise responses on the issue, as I am quite confused on the issue.

Who is ‘SHE’ ?????

Ankur: I sure am glad you brought this up. Let’s have some views on this one. It’s a controversial proposition, but one that’s definitely been discussed. Here’s what I’ll do: I’ll ask Admiral Arun Prakash to tell us what he thinks, and post his thoughts here as soon as I can.

Ankur’s comments on aircraft carriers assumes a defensive posture at all times.

Invalid

It is a stupid question. But I can’t resist asking that.

How will they load the tanks into the ship ? (same way they unload them as shown in the pics)??

sniperz11

Are these pictures of the Shardul or the Kesari? Also, I’m assuming that these are what you have taken yourself right?

Cheers.

sniperz: these are pictures of the kesari. and no, they’re courtesy the Navy, I didn’t take them.

Ankur

Shiv: I’m really looking forward to hearing from the Admiral!

I am also not of a completely defensive posture – I am just unsure of the future of conventional warfare. And India has *always* maintained a defensive posture, having never invaded any country.

Also, the Aircraft carriers are hugely expensive and ridiculously vulnerable from what I hear. I know that the source is dodgy, but here is something I pulled from Wikipedia:

“Military experts such as John Keegan have noted that in any future naval conflict between reasonably evenly matched powers, all surface ships – including aircraft carriers – would be at extreme and disproportionate risk, mainly due to the advanced capabilities of satellite reconnaissance and anti-ship missiles. Contrary to the thrust of most current naval spending, Keegan therefore postulates that eventually, most navies will move to submarines as their main fighting ships, including in roles where submarines play only a minor or no role at the moment.”

ankur: as promised, admiral arun prakash’s comments are posted.

Ankur

Shiv, you are an absolute legend.

Sudheendra

Good to know that engine is make by kirloskar.

Hi everyone
    My name is Tom, I live in Fort Worth, TX.

I am here to network / interact with other people for sharing knowledge, discussing ideas, seeking advice, find business partners & the like.

Peace out.

ASHOK BABU

HAI, THIS IS ASHOK I WAS WORKED IN INS KESARI FOR SOP INSTALLATION AND TESTING.I AM VERY PROUD OF THAT.